People with learning disabilities are under-represented in the creative industries, and we aim to change that!
CoCoCreatives is a whole, exciting day packed full of art, fashion and design. We work on projects that inspire and challenge us and we learn new creative and technical skills along the way. We are inspired by artists and designers that interest us. Some of our projects tie in with the CoCoCare yearly theme.
Do you want to design your own clothes, paint like Van Gogh or even become part of the highly successful UK creative industries? Then CoCoCreatives is for you!
- exhibit your paintings, photographs and sculptures in community venues and in internationally renowned galleries.
- learn practical cutting and sewing skills to make, adapt, decorate and mend clothes and accessories, and learn how to use tools and equipment safely.
- create designs for fashion and fabrics on paper or in computer software, and translate them into wearable garments.
- organise and run stalls and pop-up shops to display and sell your work.
- create wacky film, theatre and fancy dress costumes and props for our regular CoCoCare productions.
- take part in exciting photo shoots both in the studio and on location.
- learn graphic design skills and create leaflets and posters.
- do lots of drawing, painting, printing and mixed media artwork where we investigate design elements – colour, texture, shape and pattern.
- make models and sculptures from a range of materials
- explore dance and other creative performance techniques
- visit museums, galleries and studios to see the work of designers, artists, photographers and craftspeople.
- have a go at designing fabrics using techniques such as weaving, knitting, printing, dyeing and embroidery.
- try manga and comic book art
- learn lots about art and craft materials and where they come from, and how our use of fabrics, paper and other materials affect the earth and the animals that live with us on it.
We have access to sewing machines, an embellishing machine, iron and ironing board, laptops with internet access and creative IT programmes, printers and cameras, and lots of art and craft tools and materials.
We can arrange work experience or volunteering in art, design, fashion retail, art gallery or museum work if that’s what you’d like to do.
Our dedicated art studio is situated in the newly developed Creative Business hub at 37 Queen Street in Colchester. Here we work alongside web and fashion designers, artists, photographers and a company that designs models for Lego!
It is so inspiring to be able to create our own artworks as part of an exciting professional creative community.
We look forward to you joining us at CoCoCreatives!!